Ray Emery’s Shameless Goonery Plummets Flyers to Rock Bottom
I just want to get a few quick thoughts out from this fight in last nights game. Here’s the fight itself though if you didn’t see it.
- I don’t know if this is just a low for the season, but the last few years. The whole thing was really pitiful to watch given the season’s context.
- I think it’s funny that the Flyers get into their biggest fight of the year and, of course, Jay Rosehill is nowhere to be found. It’s just too fitting.
- Emery straight up assaulted Braden Holtby. Holtby had all of the time in the world to prepare for that fight, but chose to not drop his gloves. At the end of the “fight” Holtby was still wearing his gear. A quote from Emery regarding the fight: “I said basically ‘protect yourself’. He didn’t really have much of a choice.” Ugh.
- Losing Vinny Lecavalier for possibly a few weeks makes the whole situation seem that much more hopeless, but Tye McGinn’s return is a silver lining.
- If I’m a GM with any brains, I’m seeing who’s available from the Flyers. Holmgren’s seat is on fire and I assume he’ll try for some big last gasp type of move.
- Praying that he doesn’t pull off such a move, he may be fired on November 15th after the Winnipeg Jets game. The Flyers will come back from Canada with three days off and three straight home games to follow. It’s as good a time as any to let Hextall get acclimated.