Flyers Cheat Sheet: 3/5 – 3/11
The Flyers had a tough number of games over the past few days. With losses to the Rangers, Penguins, and Bruins, rivalry week turned into rivalry weak for the orange and black. However, the Flyers did win on Sunday against the Sabres. As a result, the Flyers are now 12-14-1.
- The Flyers have plenty of questions to answer at the halfway point.
- The Pittsburgh game highlighted the Flyers’ lack of consistency.
- Michael Leighton will replace Brian Boucher as Bryzgalov’s back-up.
- The Flyers play a home and home against New Jersey this week, who is four points ahead.
- Matt Read returned to the line-up on Thursday, despite being expected to miss six weeks.
- Andrej Meszaros returned to the team as well.
Three Stars of the Week:
1. Jakub Voracek: He continues to impress on the top line, notching three goals and an assist this week. Voracek is currently tied for 8th in the league in points with 29.
2. Zac Rinaldo: Everyone knew that rivalry week would be ugly and Rinaldo answered the call. He drew a number of penalties and fought to boost the team’s energy. A job well done.
3. Nicklas Grossmann: This is more of a midway achievement award for Grossman who has blocked 77 shots this year—the most in the NHL. He was injured blocking a shot against the Rangers, but was able to return to the game.
Goat of the Week:
Consistency, consistency, consistency, consistency, consistency (ad nauseam): Losing after a 4-1 lead over the Penguins at home was a huge blow to this team’s confidence. With only 21 games remaining, their consistency needs to improve quickly.
Quote of the Week:
“[Losing on Thursday to Pittsburgh was] embarrassing to the fans, embarrassing to one another, and we let another two points slip away…It was a big letdown.” – Scott Hartnell
Highlight of the Week:
A crucial game-saving save by Brayden Schenn.
3/13 @ New Jersey 7:30 pm
3/15 vs New Jersey 7:00 pm
3/18 @ Tampa Bay 7:30 pm