Flyers Cheat Sheet: 2/10 – 2/16
This week the Flyers headed to Canada to begin a six game stretch on the road. At this point, they’re tapping their ruby red slippers and dreaming of home. The Flyers have lost three of their four contests thus far and still have to play the Islanders and Penguins away from Philadelphia. The Flyers now stand at 6-9-1, which is good for 12th in the conference.
- Ilya Bryzgalov was pulled in the middle of the second period against Toronto. Brian Boucher entered the game for his first minutes as a Flyer this year.
- Sean Coutourier missed the games against Toronto and Winnipeg with a case of the flu. He returned to limited action against New Jersey.
- Harry Zolniercyzk was called up from the AHL to replace Coutourier while he recovered. He is yet to be sent back to the Phantoms, despite Coutourier’s return.
- Eric Gustafsson has replaced Andreas Lilja on the Flyers active roster.
- The Devils continue to own the Flyers. They have beaten the orange and black six straight times and won 5-3 this week.
- Andrej Meszaros returned to practice but is yet to play.
- Scott Harnell has begun skating and will likely return to the lineup in the next two weeks.
- Matt Read: He continues to score goals for the Flyers, with three is his last six games and is making life easier for Claude Giroux. Read leads the team with six goals for the year.
- Jake Voracek: Voracek has been playing hard and done a great job of creating opportunities for his line-mates this week.. He is also the Flyers’ current points leader with 11.
- Team defense: The Flyers have not made it easy for Bryzgalov recently as they consistently find themselves out of position and unable to break up extended possessions. To put it in plain numbers, the Flyers gave up 16 goals in the last four games. That is fairly troubling.
Quote of the Week:
”It’s unacceptable. [The goals] come off of turnovers. You got to take care of the puck and make good decisions and be in the right spot defensively and defend the rush properly, and things that we continue to harp on and look at. But giving up two goals in the first minute of each period is not a good way to start the period.”
– Peter Laviolette
Highlight of the Week:
2/16 @ Montreal at 7:00 pm
2/18 @ NY Islanders 1:00 pm
2/20 @ Pittsburgh 7:30 pm
2/21 vs Florida 7:00 pm