Flyers Cheat Sheet: 1/26 – 2/1
Last week it was clear that the Flyers started off with a thud. It seems that thud has an echo.
After two quality wins over the Rangers and Panthers, the Flyers’ returned to offensive impotence and abysmal special teams play. They’ve since lost their last three contests against the Lightning, Rangers, and Capitals on their way to the basement of the Atlantic Division.
- The Flyers have a total of four points through seven games. They are also last place in the Eastern Conference.
- Scott Laughton was sent down to Juniors, retaining his rookie status for next season.
- Second year player Matt Read had a hat trick against the Panthers. He is also the Flyers’ points leader.
- Mike Knuble got his first action with the Flyers for the season, as did Andreas Lilja.
- The Flyers are again struggling with bad turnovers—especially last night in Washington.
- Danny Briere has returned to the line-up for the Flyers despite being unable to handle face-offs with a mending fractured wrist.
- Wayne Simmonds was elbowed in the face last evening in Washington, there have been no reports yet regarding his status.
- Zac Rinaldo also returned to the line-up this week and earned a game misconduct for fighting in defense of Simmonds.
- Ilya Bryzgalov: Despite struggles everywhere else on the ice, Bryz has been the team’s best player to date.
- Luke Schenn: Shenn is playing much better hockey than his first few games. He appears to be getting more comfortable and has earned more ice time.
- Matt Read: A hat trick is hard to ignore.
- Special teams: The Flyers are now five for 40 on the power play for a conversion rate of 12.5%. Oof.
- Peter Laviolette: With only 41 games left to play, Lavi needs to find a way to get this thing going soon in order for the Flyers to be a playoff contender. With a four game home-stretch coming up against weaker competition, this may be his best bet.
Highlight of the week:
Quote of the week:
“I’m concerned because we’re falling behind here. We got to get going here.” – Paul Holmgren
Truth, Mr. Holmgren. Truth.
vs Carolina Hurricanes at 7:00
vs Tampa Bay Lightning at 7:30
vs Florida Panthers at 7:00
Posted on February 2, 2013, in Flyers, Posts, Vince Quinn and tagged cheat sheet, danny biere, Flyers, ilya bryzgalov, Luke Schenn, matt read, mike knuble, Peter Laviolette, wayne simmonds, zac rinaldo. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.