Flyers Cheat Sheet: 1/19 – 1/25
We understand that it can be hard to keep track of every game for every week. As a result, we’ll be releasing a cheat sheet every week so that you can stay up to date with the Flyers throughout the year!
Despite all of the hype for the lockout-shortened season, the Flyers started off the year with a thud. Poor starting periods and miserable special teams left the Flyers with an 0-3 record after facing Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and New Jersey.
With Philadelphians getting tense, the Flyers finished off the week with a hard-fought 2-1 win at home against the Rangers.
- Injuries have been awful for the Flyers. Scott Hartnell, Zac Rinaldo, and Andrej Meszaros were all injured this week. Danny Briere is still recovering from his broken wrist.
- First round pick Scott Laughton is getting his first NHL action. If the 18 year-old plays two more games, the first year of his contract will go into effect.
- Tye Mcginn received his first action with the Flyers. He also had a fight in his second career NHL game.
- Brayden Schenn was suspended for one game after a launching check to Devils’ defenseman Anton Volchenkov.
- The Flyers have signed Mike Knuble to the squad and called up Andreas Lilja from the Phantoms.
- Ilya Bryzgalov is playing fantastic hockey, most notably bailing out the Flyers twice in a two minute five on three power play against New York.
- Wayne Simmonds is stepping up as well. He leads the team in points with one goal and two assissts.
- Claude Giroux has performed as expected. The young captain has two goals to start off the year.
- Luke Schenn has often been out of place and had a few costly penalties.
- The Flyers special teams are 2-18 on the power play, and have allowed seven power play goals.
- Scott Hartnell out one to two months with a broken foot
- Andrej Meszaros will likely miss a moth after injuring his shoulder against the Rangers.
- Zac Rinaldo will likely be out a week with a slashed his leg.
Highlight of the week:
Quote of the week:
“We have to go out and prove we’re a pretty good team here. We’re not panicking, but we want the win. We’re 0-3 in here. Every game is crucial. We want to get the two points any way we can.” – Wayne Simmonds
SAT 1/26 @ Panthers 7:30 pm
SUN 1/27 @ Lightning 6:00 pm
TUE 1/29 @ Rangers 7:00 pm
FRI 2/1 @ Capitals 7:00 pm
Posted on January 26, 2013, in Flyers, Posts, Vince Quinn and tagged andrej meszaros, braydon schenn, cheat sheet, claude giroux, Flyers, ilya bryzgalov, Luke Schenn, mike knuble, Scott Hartnell, Scott Laughton, tye mcginn, wayne simonds. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.